The Groves

The Groves

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

CALIFORNIADVENTURE Part One: Channel Islands National Park! [Day Three]

We woke up a little later this morning (because it was my birthday, and I deserved to sleep in a little) and mostly spent a relaxing morning at camp before heading back to the beach to check things out. I ultimately decided I didn't want to do the hike, as we were supposed to check out of our campsite by 11 (even though we didn't actually until almost one, and it was still deserted) and I didn't want to be rushed. We found plenty to do on the beach though, between investigating the remains of a huge seagull feast of shrimp, some little tidepools, and me taking a zillion pictures of birds. We're pretty easily satisfied. Oh but first, Brady stole my camera and traipsed around looking for foxes. Clearly, they found him. He has this crazy animal magnetism that seems to draw animals to him, even wild ones. He keeps his distance, but sometimes they just come be-boppin' right up to him! The foxes were no exception.




Alright, fine. He got some cute shots.
This is our buddy Stubbs, so named because of his stubby little tail. He was always hanging out at our end of the campground!




Feast leftovers!

We found a whole shrimp! He was deceased, but intact, which was really cool.

Fine, I guess I'll keep him.
Throughout the years I have acquired many photos pretty much identical to this one.



OKAY FINE SO I TOOK A LOT OF SEAGULL PICTURES.
Look at this little beaut! Getting him well lit and in perfect focus was a fun challenge! I missed those!

After the beach, we went back to camp to break down the tent and pack up. And of course, I did some fox hunting of my own!





We had been wondering what they eat... now we know.
 After lunch we headed back to the beach to catch our 3pm ferry. It was sad to leave!


The super cute PFDs we got to wear for the skiff.

Brady made fun of me for taking this. I thought it was rad.
While on the ferry back, we saw sea lions porpoising! That was pretty cool, since I'd never seen that in the wild before. They were too quick for photos though. :( We also saw dolphins and sea lions working together to catch fish, which was really cool. Apparently they had seen a humpback whale on the way out though, which was a bummer for me! I've always wanted to see a humpback from closer than the shore. Our dolphins were pretty amazing though, so I didn't feel too terrible. Once we arrived back at the harbor we got a quick dinner for my birthday, and headed to Lancaster to see our friend Alan. It was a little out of the way, but it was really good to see him. It had been almost two years! After visiting with Alan we made our way to Anaheim to get ready for Disneyland in the morning!! Woohoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment